Monday 15 January 2007

Skint

I went back to London this weekend. My wife bought tickets to see 'Spamalot', Eric Idle's musical based on Monty Pythons Holy Grail movie. It was playing at the Palace Theater, Shaftsbury Avenue.

We stayed at a hotel in Shoreditch just north of Bishopsgate. I was instantly reminded of the reasons why I left the city, no where to park, extortionate prices and travelling anywhere meant crowds, queues and delays.

The show was very good, I laughed pretty much throughout and the audience was very appreciative. I saw Sara Cox (former 'wild child' and now a radio DJ) in the bar, I hope she liked the show too.

I spent Saturday afternoon looking up an old friend I hadn't seen for 7 or 8 years. We drank lots of tea and had a very convivial lunch on Northcote Road in Battersea. It was good to have some interesting conversation and catch up. We discussed work, or rather my lack of it, his job at Reuters (the news agency), life in London and jury service (amongst other things).

On returning to Wales I realised that Christmas, and our trip to London had left me totally skint. Only a smoker can appreciate the knowledge that you've run out of cigarettes, have no money to buy more, and worse no prospect of earning any money in the foreseeable future. Being self employed and having had no orders since November last year, I am now almost destitute. Applications for paid employment have been flying off the PC, but the time of year means that responses have been slow to non-existent. If it weren't for my wife's job I would be totally distraught.

I have never in my life been in the situation where there is no money coming in at all and it's a sad and sorry state to be in. So if anyone knows of any jobs going for a literate and hard working person let me know.......

Perhaps I should write a book.

No comments: