Saturday 3 February 2007

Reviving a hobby

It's been a couple of weeks since I last posted, and having time on my hands I've spent the fortnight reviving a hobby I haven't followed for many years.

In my childhood, and my youth, I made and painted scale models and figures. This continued until I was in my late twenties by which time I had achieved a level of skill to exhibition / competition standards. The hobby fell by the wayside with only minor recurrances since then.

Anyway, for reasons that I am not really sure of, a friend of mine gave me three small metal 'fantasy' figures to paint. I dug around in the loft and found I had kept all of my old modelling tools and brushes, but I had no paints that I could find. So I added some model paints to my 'X-Mas' list and a few models just to see if I could still manage a reasonable level of success.

It certainly tought me that my eyesight has deteriorated somewhat! Below are some images of my first attempts to get my hand back in.




These are the three figures I was given to paint. Some kind of skeletal warriors. The one below was supplied with the set of paints I got for X-Mas.



In both cases the figures stand about an inch tall.

I talked it over with my wife and decided to try and utilise these skills to try and build a model railway. I wanted it to be a fixed model rather than a 'train set' and since money is priority I decided to scratch-build as much as I could, buy secondhand and make do and mend.

I will publish my progress on here as and when work progresses.

No comments: