Wednesday 28 April 2010

Tinkering around

 

Whilst waiting for the dial gauge to arrive I decided to try a few things on the Unimat 4. I tried re-chucking some concentric ground tool steel bar and 'feeling' the runout. You could see it wasn't running true. About 20 thou out.
Then a brainwave. I completely stripped down and meticulously cleaned the chuck and jaws. Re-assembled it with the jaws all going back into their respective slots. Still the same ...... now ....
On the old SL/DB chuck, all the jaws are number stamped and the chuck face is also number stamped and the jaws must be installed in a certain order. This is because on a scroll chuck a flat thread draws all the jaws closed. In order that they all meet in the middle the threads of the jaws are all slightly different patterns..... the previous owner couldn't have been that stupid surely? I had been very careful to reassemble the jaws in the slots they came out of.
I dis-assembled the chuck again. Sure enough the jaws are all number stamped. However, try a I might, I couldn't find any markings of any kind at all on the chuck body.
I re-assembled the chuck moving all the jaws along to the next slot, but in their correct order. Blimey! The runout has dropped down to almost nothing! There is still a slight off centre 'feel' but that was using a piece already cut on the SL. if the two machines are out by about 2 or 3 thou then the combined effect of 5 or 6 thou is about what I'm getting. I'm a lot happier about the machine now. Even if there is a 2 thou runout it will be fine for the stuff I want to do.
I have decided to check both the machines once the dial gauge arrives and see where we are. If required I will fiddle around with the jaws until I am sure they are in the right slots and then mark the back of the chuck somehow.

No comments: