Wednesday 7 April 2010

Unemployed again after three years!

Well, I can't believe that it has been 3 years since I posted on here! I was just too busy.
The project I ran was really excellent and I was using up all the hours under the sun. However, due to funding being cut I now find myself without gainful employment once again.
Since I have time on my hands I've been doing a few thing that have sat on the back burner for too long.

One of those was to do some scale model making and scratchbuilding. I had a few kits and ideas floating around. One was the
construction of some AFVs that aren't available as kits, or were to expensive to buy. I started with an M39 APC, results below:



In addition I have written off to George Bradford in Canada for some scale drawings for a few more scratchbuilt vehicles. George has an excellent range of 1/35th scale plans for a very reasonable price.

In order to make model parts my wife bought me a watchmakers / modellers lathe a couple of years back. I haven't really used it at all, but I thought it would be good to try and learn how to use it! Here's how it looked the day we got it home, it's a Unimat SL-1000/DB-200:



I have already realised that there are a lot of the original parts missing! I have bought some nice indexing cutting tools, but the lack of the milling attachment is very annoying although we only paid a small amount for the lathe.

The next thing is to sell some old radio stuff on e-bay and see if I can manage to get some of the missing parts for the lathe.

No comments: