Monday 10 May 2010

Drill Press 5

 

It seems that I have solved the broken base problem ..... by the most insane and ridiculous method possible!
I was asking around the net forums for a possible welding solution, when someone asked me if the breaks were fresh? 'Yes they are'. Then he asked, 'Are the breaks on a load bearing area?'
I did a quick check and the only critical breaks were around the thread, but there was enough of the pillar stand left that the bar still gripped firmly when screwed fully down even with the broken bits missing.
'Have you tried superglue?'

I was astonished by this suggestion. Surely it wouldn't be strong enough to hold would it?
Apparently, if the breaks are fresh enough they reveal the grain and porous structure of the cast iron. The cyanoacrylate, being very runny, is drawn into the pores by capillary action.


So I carefully laid all the bits on the table and re-assembled them. Thy were all there and a good clean fit. I then ran the superglue along the joints and watched as the glue was sucked in to the joints! I kept 'feeding' the breaks with glue until no more was being drawn in and left it all to set for 6 hours.
You can just make out the joints of glue, they are slightly lighter lines on the casting.


After the glue had set I began cleaning up the joints and grinding off the scale and rust.


The only major problem is that the threads have been damaged by the pillar being smashed out of them. I am starting to carefully clean them back up with a thin grinding wheel in the Dremel. I can now screw the pillar in to about an 1/8th of inch from the bottom. Slow and steady and we should get there.
I am amazed at how strong the repair appears to be. As long as the pillar is still perpendicular when I've finished it should all work out OK.

Oh and here is an image of the drill as I bought it. Cost me £13.00 with the postage!

No comments: