Monday 17 May 2010

Drill Press 8

 
I have finished off the idler pulley mount and fitted it to the drill.
It seems strong enough to cope.


It seems to have enough adjustment but the pulleys are a bit too small. It'll have to do until I can make or buy new ones.


Once I had adjusted it, I fitted a test length of shock cord (all I had to hand) and placed the motor in position.


A simple test proved that the cord stays in place. I then re-wired the motor and did a power test. Even using shock cord the damn thing ran quiet and true! Result!
It needs proper 4mm drive belt to hold the torque, and once I have a working drill then I can improve on the idler pulley situation.
I have added an on/off switch and then it's just a matter of sorting out the operating handles (polish and ball handles), and then trying to find a solution to the spring return problem.


The parts for the Unimat SL turned up as well so I'm nearly up to a complete machine as originally manufactured. One or two bits still to find.
I now need an old bench vice to restore and we will be getting somewhere.

No comments: