Tuesday 18 May 2010

Drill Press 9

 
I have located a source for the ball handles and the belting, I just need to find the money to pay for them now!
I decided to overhaul the motor today. I stripped it right down, cleaned and checked all the windings, oiled the bearing pads and checked the bushes were clean.
Once I had all the housings off, I stripped off all the old paint and gave them a coat of red oxide primer.


I decided to forgo the bloody awful 'wrinkle' finish except on the mount which had that finish already. I just retouched it. The main body was given a coat of satin black, which was much quicker and cheaper. I think the results are just as nice.



It now runs smooth and quiet, although on a few occasions it has stalled at start up. Maybe it is just old and hasn't been run for a while.
I have started work on mounting the drill and motor. A nice wooded base so that the drill can be moved if required. Mind you it's bloody heavy!

No comments: