Thursday 6 May 2010

Drill Press Renovation Project

 

I spent all day yesterday and most of today stripping down the drill press. The images here are after quite a bit of cleaning just to get it stripped down.


Here's the general arrangement of the stripped down parts. You can clearly see where the idiots at DHL have dropped and broken the base plate. Being cast iron I don't know if it can be fixed. Twats.


If it can be welded or brazed it's beyond my basic skill level to do it. What a shame.


here is the main pillar and the spindle shaft. 100 years of accumulated rust, grease, oil and crap. There's a small section I have cleaned at the base of the pillar. It should come up beautifully after a lot of graft!
The spindle shaft has a worn patch where the top if the quill touches it. I think it would originally have run in a phosphor bronze bush, but this is now just a grey metal bush. The spindle is exactly 11mm diameter so I could make up a new one if the play is too great. The original nose thread is some weird size and about 50 TPI. Luckily there is plenty of meat on it for a 3/8th x 24 TPI thread for a Jacobs. I'm not trying to restore this to it's original condition. I want a working drill so the original chuck will go in the bin.
You can also see the support casting for the table. Luckily all the castings seem fine except the broken base.


The main components of the quill movement. It took me 4 hours to get the remains of what should have been a taper pin out of the pinion gear. What came out looked like the remains of an allen key! The rack gear has damage to the crowns of every tooth due to this bit of bodgery. This is AFTER I have cleaned it up. Luckily none of the teeth are broken off either gear so it should still work after a fashion.
The three quill operating arms are as black as the ace of spades. At first I thought they might have been 'blued' but no, they are just covered in shit. I will get them polished up and see if I can find some ball handles for them.


The upper head casting, the new chuck and the pulley for the top of the spindle. After removing all the paint and polishing the machined surfaces I'd like to re-paint the castings with a matt black 'wrinkle' finish. That should show the drill off nicely.


The underside of the rotating table, clearly showing at least three layer of different coloured paint. Once all this lot has been cleaned off and re-painted it should start looking a bit more like a machine tool again.
I'm just REALLY issed off about the base.

No comments: